Bard Hit with $3.6 Million Verdict in IVC Filter Lawsuit
Bard Hit with $3.6 Million Verdict in IVC Filter Lawsuit

A federal jury in Phoenix, Arizona awarded plaintiff Sherri Booker $4 million for damages caused by a Bard IVC filter. The award includes $2 million in compensatory damages and $2 million in punitive damages. Bard is responsible for 80% of the damages, meaning the medical technology company owes Booker $3.6 million.

Booker was 37 years old when she had a Bard G2 IVC blood filter implanted. The device is supposed to prevent blood clots. However, it broke inside her vena cava—the body’s largest vein. Booker had to undergo open heart surgery to retrieve the pieces, which was only partially successful.

The jury found Bard 80% at fault for the victim’s damages. The jury determined that Bard was liable for negligent failure to warn, although they did not find the company liable for design defect or negligent design. The other 20% of responsibility belongs to the radiologist who failed to flag Sherri’s device as being visibly separated when examining her X-ray.

“These IVC filters can be very dangerous for patients, especially if they are left in the body too long. We’re glad the jury in this case helped the victim recover damages,” said Attorney Walter Clark, founder of Walter Clark Legal Group.

Our firm has been handling personal injury cases throughout the California Low Desert and High Desert communities for over 30 years. With a 95% success rate, the California personal injury attorneys at Walter Clark Legal Group will fight to hold those responsible for your loss accountable and win compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you have been injured by a defective product and want to discuss your legal options, contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer. We have offices in Indio, Rancho Mirage, Victorville, and Yucca Valley and represent clients through the entire California Low Desert and High Desert communities.

DISCLAIMER: The Walter Clark Legal Group blog is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal or medical advice. References to laws are based on general legal practices and vary by location. Information reported comes from secondary news sources. We do handle these types of cases, but whether or not the individuals and/or loved ones involved in these accidents choose to be represented by a law firm is a personal choice we respect. Should you find any of the information incorrect, we welcome you to contact us with corrections.

Recent Posts
Popular Tags

Walter Clark Legal Group

Walter Clark Legal Group
Skip to content