Avoid a Train Accident with these 5 Safety Tips
A pedestrian was critically injured in an Amtrak train accident last month in Riverside. The crash happened early in the morning at the Pierce Street crossing south of Magnolia Avenue. The victim was taken to the hospital with critical injuries.
The accident closed the tracks from the Riverside La Sierra Station to the North Main Corona Station. One train was delayed and another was canceled as a result of the shutdown.
California had the highest number of pedestrian rail trespass casualties in 2014. According to the Federal Railroad Administration, 93 pedestrians died and 52 were injured on the tracks in just one year.
Here are 5 safety tips to follow to avoid a pedestrian train accident:
- The only place to safely cross is a designated public crossing. These crossings are marked by a crossbuck, flashing red lights or a gate.
- If lights are flashing and/or the gate is down, that means a train is coming. Never attempt to go around the gates, even if you don’t see the train yet.
- Do not cross tracks immediately after a train passes. Wait until you can clearly see around the train in both directions to ensure another train is not coming down the tracks.
- Trains do not necessarily follow a set schedule, so don’t rely on a schedule to determine whether a train might be on its way.
- Never rely on a conductor to stop for you if you’re on the tracks. It can take up to a mile for a train to come to a stop, so even if the conductor sees you, they probably won’t be able to stop in time.
“Always be mindful any time you approach railroad tracks, and never assume a train isn’t coming,” said Attorney Walter Clark, founder of Walter Clark Legal Group.
Our firm has been handling personal injury cases throughout the California Low Desert and High Desert communities for over 30 years. With a 95% success rate, the California personal injury attorneys at Walter Clark Legal Group will fight to hold those responsible for your loss accountable and win compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you have been injured in an accident and want to discuss your legal options, contact us today at (760) 777-7777 for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer. We have offices in Indio, Rancho Mirage, Victorville, and Yucca Valley and represent clients through the entire California Low Desert and High Desert communities.
DISCLAIMER: The Walter Clark Legal Group blog is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal or medical advice. References to laws are based on general legal practices and vary by location. Information reported comes from secondary news sources. We do handle these types of cases, but whether or not the individuals and/or loved ones involved in these accidents choose to be represented by a law firm is a personal choice we respect. Should you find any of the information incorrect, we welcome you to contact us with corrections.