Should you Call the Police for a Minor Car Accident?
Should you Call the Police for a Minor Car Accident?

You know to call the police if you are involved in a major accident, especially if someone is injured, but do you have to call them for a minor accident? A police report might not be necessary for every fender-bender. However, the fact that a car accident does not seem “major” does not mean no one suffered injuries or that the police should not be involved.

What do you Legally Have to do After a Minor Car Accident?

Drivers are always required to stop in the event of an accident—even a minor one. Driving away from the scene can result in a hit-and-run charge, which is a serious offense. Furthermore, by law, you must call the police if an accident results in an injury. This rule might lead some drivers to believe they are better off not calling the police after a fender-bender that did not result in obvious injuries. However, that is not always the best course of action.

When Should you Call the Police?

The person who caused the accident might try to convince you to leave the police out of it. However, it is usually a good idea to contact authorities, even in a minor accident. Calling the police is beneficial for multiple reasons. For one, each party involved in the accident can give their statement to the police for the official report. This is important if you need to file a personal injury claim in the future. Moreover, the police report ensures that both parties provide their information accurately. Unfortunately, you never know if another driver might be giving you inaccurate information if you don’t involve the police. Lastly, providing your auto insurance company with the police report can help them process your claim more effectively.

Does that mean you always have to call the police for an accident? Not quite. If the other vehicle barely grazed you and you are positive there is no more damage than a scratch or ding, it is probably safe to simply get the other driver’s information. A good rule of thumb is: when in doubt, call the police. You should always call the police if the accident was enough to cause more than $1,000 of damage to your vehicle. Additionally, call the police if the crash could have potentially resulted in injuries to either party.

“It’s always better to be safe than sorry after a car accident. Calling the police ensures that you have an official report in the event that you need to make a claim with your insurance company, or file a personal injury claim,” said Attorney Walter Clark, founder of Walter Clark Legal Group.

Our firm has been handling personal injury cases throughout the California Low Desert and High Desert communities for over 30 years. With a 95% success rate, the California personal injury attorneys at Walter Clark Legal Group will fight to hold those responsible for your loss accountable and win compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you have been injured in an auto accident and want to discuss your legal options, contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer. We have offices in Indio, Rancho Mirage, Victorville, and Yucca Valley and represent clients through the entire California Low Desert and High Desert communities.

DISCLAIMER: The Walter Clark Legal Group blog is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal or medical advice. References to laws are based on general legal practices and vary by location. Information reported comes from secondary news sources. We do handle these types of cases, but whether or not the individuals and/or loved ones involved in these accidents choose to be represented by a law firm is a personal choice we respect. Should you find any of the information incorrect, we welcome you to contact us with corrections.

Recent Posts
Popular Tags

Walter Clark Legal Group

Walter Clark Legal Group